Tuesday, April 03, 2007


My neighbor, Tiffany, had her baby yesterday. Audrey Ann weighed in at 7 lbs 9 oz and was 19 inches long at 3 weeks early! Can you imagine if she would have went full term!?! I stopped by the hospital on my way home from work to visit. Audrey is so cute and tiny, even though she is only 4 oz smaller than Sara was, she looked so much smaller to me. Which brings me to the point of this post, I thought now was as good of a time as any to recap my birth story, before any more months pass by and I start forgetting stuff, so here it goes:

October 4
I had my 39 week appointment with Dr. Callison at 8:30 am. We had a feeling she might induce me that day, b/c the previous week I was already dilated to 3-4 cm and 80% effaced, so we brought our hospital bags just in case. So we are at the appointment and she checks me. I am 5 cm and 100% effaced. I am thinking "How is this baby still in me and how have I not felt any pains???" Dr. Callison mentions something about inducing the next day, and when she said that I got a disappointed look on my face, according to Jeremy, and then she said, "or we can send you on over today?" So of course I said yes! She called the hospital to let them know I was coming over, b/c she knew they were extremely crowded that day, since she was late for my appointment b/c she was delivering a baby. They had one bed open, so we rushed over there.

We get to Labor & Delivery and check in, not really sure on the time, but I am going to say about 9:30-10:00 am. On our way to the hospital we called all of our family to let them know that we were heading to the hospital. We had to wait about an hour in the waiting room for a L&D room to become available. The first to show up to the hospital were Justin and Alison, so they got to wait with us for a little while. While we were sitting there we watched out the window, and I saw my parents, brothers, and uncle come in on the bottom floor, but before they made it up to the L&D floor, they had already called me back to my room, at about 11:00-11:30ish.

My L&D room was amazing! It was huge! My L&D nurse was Melissa. She was great, so nice. When we first got in there, I had to change in to my gown and get hooked up to an IV. Then she put 2 monitors around my belly, one to monitor the contractions and the other to monitor the baby's heartbeat. Then she checked me again, and I had already progressed to 6 cm. So she took my blood and called in for the epidural.

While we waited for my bloodwork to come back so I could get the epi, I got see all the family that had made it to the hospital. my mom and dad, my brothers, my uncle, Jeremy's mom and dad, Justin, Alison, Matthew, Megan, Rob, my aunt Patsy, uncle Randy, Heather, Hillary, Jeremy's aunt Cheryl, aunt Anita, Nanny, Pappaw, Mammaw, Kim, Jimmy Carter, Sandy, and Morgan. And I believe Jeremy's great aunt Doris was there and his cousin Johnny. Jeremy's uncle Jimmy Couch got there later, I didn't get to see him before I delivered.

It was finally epidural time. I got my epidurial, which was fantastic! Even though I haven't felt any contractions to this point, it was really nice to know that I wasn't going to have to at all! After my epi was finished, Dr. Callison came in and broke my water. Not sure about the time on this, I would say around 1:00, b/c we asked her when she thought we would have a baby and she said by 3:00pm. So during the waiting time we visited with all the family. It was all very relaxed and we were all having a good time.

Around 3:30, the nurse checked me and I was fully dilated. She had me do a couple of pushes and she said I was ready. So she paged Dr. Callison. Not sure about the time here, but I think I pushed for about 30-45 mins. Pushing was the hardest thing I have ever done. During the pushes they could see her head, and the nurse said she had a ton of hair. Finally at 4:25 pm, Sara Belle was born. If was the biggest relief I have ever felt. And she did, indeed, have a ton of hair. They placed her on my belly to clean her off, and she was crying. Then they took her to her warmer and let her lay for a bit and breathe, b/c she had a lot of fluid in her when she came out. Jeremy was a great coach and was right by me the whole time. And after she was born, he turned in to Mr. Photographer and took some great pictures! He also took a picture of her with my phone and sent it out to the waiting room to my mom, so that is how they all found out she had been born.

7 lbs 13 oz
21 inches
My first time holding Sara

We both got to hold for a while and after about an hour, Sara and Jeremy were off to the nursery and to see the rest of the famliy.
Jeremy giving Sara her first bath.
This is one of my favorite pictures, Sara looks so content.

Daddy and his little girl.
Aunt Alison holding Sara for the first time.
Roll Tide!!
Nana and Sara
Babs and Sara

October 7
We were discharged from the hospital and took Sara home.

In her coming home outfit given to her by her Nana.
Getting ready to get in the car.

And now it's almost 6 months later! I think this is about as great as life can get.